Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Nalgene vs Sigg

Oh yeah--that's right. Another conspiracy about what's bad for you.

I have been using Nalgene bottles for years--at least 6. And I drink a lot a water. I drink a liter in the morning before school, one before lunch, one after lunch before the end of the day, sometimes half a one on the way home, and one before I go to bed. Minimum of 4 liters per day. That's a lot of peein'.

Anyhow, back to the bottles.

I keep reading about this chemical Bisphenol A (or BPA) that leaches out of polycarbonate (or #7 plastics). It leaches out more at higher temps but even at room temperature, it has been shown to leach out into the solution. 2 bad things--I use(d) Nalgenes that are made of polycarbonate and so are baby bottles. The chemical is basically a synthetic version of estrogen.

As of last week, Canada is considering banning it. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080418.wbpa19/BNStory/National/ )

So what's a guy to do. Well, I've made the switch to metal bottles--aluminum and stainless steel. Sigg is a Swiss company that has been making water bottle/canteens for 100 years. The inner liner of Sigg bottles is an enamel that is baked on and is purported to not be hazardous (by both an independent German agency and the FDA). I have a couple of bottles by Sigg. I also purchased one by a company called Laken who uses and epoxy as a liner that is supposed to not leach out. Finally, Klean Kanteen produces a stainless steel water bottle this is both light, relatively speaking, and resists denting (unlike the aluminum bottles).

I hope I am not wasting my money, but I would probably be wasting in on something else, that would not help me stay healthy.

No comments: