Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Good News


What is the "good news" that Christianity offers? Answering that question was our assignment in Dan's class at church a couple of weeks ago. I think it is a good one.

Here are some ideas that keep coming back to me.

Rest - Rest from what others think. Rest from trying so hard and failing. Rest from having to be a hero, or a saint. Rest from all the work everyone claims is so important.

Judgment - Are people really able to get away with stuff? We need judgment if we want justice. Jesus promises that the poor, the weak, the meek will have their day as will the rich, the corrupt, and the proud.

Company - Christ is a God who literally walks and talks with us. A God who is not a super hero but a peasant. A God/man who most mysteriously relives the passover identifying not most obviously as the Mosaic deliverer but with the cursed first born of Egypt condemned to death.

So why do I have a hard time proclaiming this good news, this gospel, to others? I fear that rest, judgment, and company are vegetable virtues, I understand why I should want them but alas I hard time convincing myself, let alone making a compelling case to others to partake.

I still feel my work may pay off, that I have more to lose then gain by judgment, and that I'm fine on my own. God have mercy.

(photo by Mandalynn http://www.flickr.com/photos/mandaberry/3247012/)

No comments: